Friday, May 8, 2009

Making Mame Bonsai in Ahmedabad, Gujarat

Reducing height of a Tree for making Mame Bonsai in Ahmedabad, Gujarat:
- I had a tree which was roughly 2 feet in height with no branches on first 1.5 feet of the trunk. It had a beautiful crown with 6/7 branches but the first 1.5 feet of the trunk was bare. In fustration to develop the branches throughout the Trunk...
- I chopped it by 1 Feet as a result of which it profusely branched out (10 -12 new nodes appeared in all) in the remaining 1 feet. I noted that though the new branches sprouted from as low as 2 inches from base of the trunk. Before you chop the tree it is important to have in mind the position where you want the branch to develop. I deliberately kept the height to 1 feet such that depending on how plant reacts, i can reduce the height further.
- Later I realised that only the top branches took the leads. Had I allowed the top branch buds to take the lead, the branches that had appeared at the base would have died.
- Important thing it to know that once branches go strong, if you prune them, then new branches will develop at branch level & not on the trunk, hence it was important that the bottom branch buds were preserved & they were given the chance to grow.
- So, I chopped the tree by another 6 inches such that the branches at the bottom of the trunk get enough opportunity to grow.
Hope this works and I am in a position to develop 4/6 branches in a 6 Inch Bonsai Tree. Pl. try this on you Bonsai & update me if it work.
Pl. comment on this article if you find it worthy by clicking on the comments link below.

1 comment:

Dear Visitor, please feel free to comment on my Bonsai under training. IF you wish to contact me call me on 9924332267 or send me email at ramesh.jsinha@gmail.com